The Winery at Bull Run's Property
The original Estate that was located on The Winery at Bull Run's property was named Hillwood (click image to see plat).
Recently, the Prince William County historical society was researching the previous owners and actually found the Entwisles, who owned the farm back in 1946. (Read the story about the ruins restoration...)
The farm on which the winery now stands was once part of a huge tract of land owned by the Lee, Thornton and Lewis families. Over the years the land passed into the Entwisle family and is known today as the Entwisle tract. Parts of the original farm are now portions of Manassas National Battlefield Park, the quarry and this last remaining plot on which the winery now stands.
The stone foundation which is now The Stone Mansion Ruins patio is all that remains of the original Hillwood Mansion that was standing during the First Battle of Manassas or Bull Run. (When you visit The Winery at Bull Run be sure to look for markers on the property that show the land as it appeared on Civil War era maps.)
The land on which Hillwood was built was once part of the Middle Bull Run Tract; one of six vast land holdings of Robert "King" Carter. It passed from generation to generation within the Carter family. Oddly, Mary Adelaide Carter, a direct descendant of King Carter, inherited Hillwood. At some point prior to the acquisition of the property by Thomas A. Lee, the land was known as the Thornton-Lewis Tract. Many sources, including park documents and bibliographic references contain errors and contradictions. Additionally, coincidences sometimes confuse fact and fiction. In the northern area of nearby Lower Bull Tract, George Carter, great-grandson of King Carter, sold 762 acres in 1811 to brother-in-law Spencer Ball, who had married Elizabeth Carter, the grandmother of Mary Adelaide Carter. This land was eventually inherited by Ball's grandson Francis W. Lewis. In the same year, 172 acres were sold to Matthew Lee; the brother of Thomas A. Lee's great-grandfather. The exact age of Hillwood is unknown. The home is depicted in a field map by Jedediah Hotchkiss, a famous Civil War cartographer, of the First Battle of Bull Run, which occurred July 21, 1861.